An undergraduate symposium on digital media
VCAM, Haverford College, Haverford, PA
March 2-3, 2018
PLATFORM: Imaginations, Inheritances, Infrastructures
The rise of the “platform economy” and responses to it has been one of the distinctive characteristics of our current social, creative, and economic moment. Where creative platforms respond critically to these formulations of political, economic and social practices, the art, scholarship, and communal voices that arise also offer counter-models of engagement and activism in digital and physical spaces.
Re:Humanities 2018 invites proposals from faculty-undergraduate teams for presentations and projects on any aspect of the “platform” broadly conceived. We welcome speculative histories and futures of the platform, practical thinking about living within and across platforms, critical studies of platforms, artistic and creative interventions through and on platforms.
Topics might include but are not limited to:
- literary, social and creative histories of the platform
- suspicion and reliance: digital humanities and the platform
- critical algorithm studies and the platform
- social media, intimacy, and the platform
- environment, the anthropocene, and the platform
- gender, performance, and the platform
- socially engaged art, community, and the platform
- big data, behavioral manipulation, and the platform
- literature: is a genre a platform?
- racialized constructs of the platform
- the gig economy, the sharing economy, and the platform
Current undergraduates and faculty/undergraduate teams, please send 300-word proposals for twenty-minute presentations or poster-session projects to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 30, 2017 with rolling deadline until January 15, 2018. Notifications: January 20, 2018. Team proposals are preferred but individuals are also welcome to apply.
* Sponsored by Tri-Co Digital Humanities (TDH) of Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, and Haverford; the Haverford Innovations Program (HIP); and the Hurford Center for the Arts and Humanities (HCAH).