TRIG Workshop: Engaging with the ACRL Framework
The Tri-Co Research and Instruction Group (TRIG) invites you to attend our full-day professional development workshop on March 22, 2018 at Bryn Mawr College!
Based on the positive feedback on the instruction portion of our summer 2016 retreat, TRIG will be hosting the ACRL Roadshow Engaging with the ACRL Framework: A Catalyst for Exploring and Expanding Our Teaching Practices led by Brittney Johnson, Head of Library Instruction, St. Edward’s University, and Kim Pittman, Information Literacy and Assessment Librarian, University of Minnesota Duluth.
The Framework, with its emphasis on metacognition and conceptual understandings of information literacy, provides an opportunity for us to reconsider our teaching practices from new perspectives and explore our changing instructional roles beyond traditional library classes.
Workshop Description and Outcomes (from ACRL)
Throughout this workshop participants will explore concepts and pedagogical approaches outlined in the Framework and their significance to their own instructional work. Attendees will apply their learning and reflection to creating instruction plans for their local contexts and considering possibilities for growing teaching partnerships. More specifically, participants will:
- Recognize the overarching goals and the major components of the Framework and what theories influenced the document's creation.
- Reflect on their personal perspectives on and experiences with the Framework and how these influence their engagement with the document.
- Examine their unique institutional and instructional contexts and the possibilities and constraints these contexts present for their pedagogical work,
- Apply principles of instructional design to develop instruction that is centered on the Frames and that fosters learning transfer and metacognition.
- Explore the unique knowledge and experiences that librarians bring to teaching and learning and their implications for expanding librarians' instructional roles and partnerships.
- Explore how the Framework can be used to foster dialogue and collaboration among educators.
- March 22, 2018
- 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Ely Room, Wyndham